This was a project that meant a lot to me in more ways than one. I built this box for my grandfather who, over the years, has taught me a lot about patience, life, and what it means to follow after God’s heart. Throughout the years, we have always done one thing when we go to visit Grandma and Grandpa in the north woods of Wisconsin, and that is fish. I can’t think of a vacation where we didn’t fish while we were there. It is through countless hours of fishing that I have gotten to know my grandfather for the man he is today, and because of that fact, I decided to make him a keepsake tackle box for Christmas.
This box also served as one of the more technically difficult projects I have ever taken on. It required a great deal of precision and, furthermore, a great deal of design and careful execution. I thank the Lord for giving me all of the above mentioned skills and abilities and, above all, patience. More than once I came across an instance where a wrong cut or mistake in math would have sent the project down the tube. I take little credit though, because of those who have gone before me and written books, articles, and even made videos that helped me navigate my way through the minefield of challenges this project presented me. This project certainly taught me to appreciate the perfection of God. No matter how hard we plan, design, and think about things before we do them, nothing compares to Christ and His example and nothing ever will.
The box itself is made of “Curly Maple” with “Cherry” accents. Each drawer rests on side double dovetail drawer glides that allow full extension, and the top of the box can be lifted to reveal a top compartment. Being the first box of its kind that I have made, there are several improvements that I would like to make if I have the opportunity to make a second box. The first would be a more visually appealing top, followed by the edges of the drawers being mitered so that they inset themselves and create a seamless corner rather than an exposed butt joint. Other than those few changes, and some alterations to the dividers followed by some inner lining, the project turned out way better than I ever could have hoped.